There are various types of web hosting services available. Generally Shared Hosting is being opted. But if we have some custom requirements for installation of any theme or package, then we may go with Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting. Like: I want to install Magento Community Edition 2.1 on my website, which supports PHP 5.6 or above. I can setup my domain on VPS and can install all my custom requirements. So lets see the various steps in this process.
Create account in WebHost Manager (WHM):
- Go to URL https://serveripaddress:2087, and login into WebHost manager using username as root, and your server’s password.(Here ‘serveripaddress’ is the IP address of your server).
- Now you have to create an account for your domain. Go to ‘Account functions’.
- Under Account functions, find and click on ‘Create a New Account’.
- Now add your domain name, username, password and email in below interface. Rest are optional.
Update DNS Entires:
- Now you are done with domain account creation along with DNS entries. Next we have to update the DNS entries of newly created account. So go back to home screen and click on ‘DNS functions’.
- Under DNS functions, click on ‘Edit DNS Zone’.
- Choose your domain and click to edit. Under DNS section, change the ns1.ip.secureserver.net. and ns2.ip.secureserver.net. with ns1.yourdomain.com. and ns2.yourdomain.com. (yourdomain.com is the name of your domain)
- Below this, you will see ‘Add new Entries’ section. Type your nameservers and simply select ‘A’ from dropdown and your IP address in the textbox next to the dropdown, and save the changes. (Please note your nameserver values can be different than those shown below in screenshot)
Update Nameservers of Domain:
- Now that we have updated the nameservers for our account, now we will have to edit the nameservers of domain by visiting to our Domain Name Provider. (Following screenshots refer to goDaddy hosting). Go to Domain Settings under your account and go to ‘Host names’.
- Click on ‘Manage’ Link and add two entries for your nameservers i.e ns1 and ns2 in Hostname and provide your server IP.
- After adding both the nameservers, system may take few minutes to take the effect. Till the time, we can update the Nameserver entries. Click on ‘Manage’ to update the entries.
- In the appreared pop-up, select ‘custom’ nameserver settings.
- Click on ‘Enter custom nameservers’ and add your nameserver entries in appeared popup, i.e. ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com and save the entries.
- Once you are done with updating the nameservers, your configuration may take few minutes to setup. Now you can type your domain name in browser and check that your domain is working. You may see the screen like the following:
- This is because your server has no index.html file. Create a new file and upload through FTP and see your domain is working properly.
I hope this may help you to setup your domain quickly 🙂